The recipe name says it all: walnuts, cocoa, and dates are the only ingredients in this homemade energy bar. I was driven to make this when my favorite bar, Clif Nectar Dark Chocolate Walnut, was discontinued. Disheartened, I reflected on what I liked about the bar…its ingredients were simple and pure…it didn’t taste manufactured…it was almost like something one could make at home…
That’s when it finally dawned on me that, the only thing I needed to miss about this product was its attractive packaging.
What I came up with was a homemade version that is even simpler than the original. This may not be the prettiest food I've made, but I'm giving myself the excuse that energy bars aren't exactly photogenic.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Makes 6 1 ½ ounce bars
½ cup toasted walnuts
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa, plus additional cocoa for dredging
1 cup (approximately 10) Medjool dates, pitted
- Pulse all ingredients together in a food processor fitted with a blade attachment until they hold together in a uniform mass.
- Turn the mixture out onto a sheet of wax paper and bring it together to form roughly a square shape.
- Place another sheet of wax paper over the mixture. With a rolling pin, roll the mixture out until it is ¼ inch or so thick.
- Using a bench scraper, even out the edges until you have a rectangle that is about 9 inches by 5 inches.
- With the bench scraper, cut the rectangle into 6 bars.
- Put a few tablespoons of cocoa in a shallow bowl. Dredge the bars in cocoa, shaking off excess powder. Store the bars wrapped in wax paper.